The American West. It is full of mystery, beauty, myths, abundant land, and mining. What first brought men to explore the Western regions of America was the bounty of furs and unexplored territory and as exploration continued, vast riches of common and precious metals were discovered. While the lands were used for farming, logging, and ranching, mining is what really brought the American West to the forefront of the minds of the common man. With the thought of “striking it rich”, there was a massive influx of people moving to the mountainous regions of the Western U.S. Metals were discovered in nearly every region of the West and mines were sunk, towns built and lives redefined. As surface ores were exhausted, deep mining became necessary to extract the vast ore reserves of gold, silver, copper and other metals. This was an expensive venture which required capital more than one man could often afford. Companies were organized, capital was raised, and men were hired to search deep into the earth for these riches. For the collector today, this has created a wealth of beautiful and unique certificates representing that influx of capital.
We are pleased to present the following Western mining and land stock and bond certificates for your collection from Alaska, Arizona, California, Montana, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming !
Alaska Gold Mines Company
- Issued / Uncancelled, dated 1919.
- Nice Alaskan mining certificate. This was a holding company for the Alaska Gastineau Mining Company, whose properties were located in the vicinity of Juneau in what was known as the Juneau Gold Belt. Property was a total of 2,166 acres comprised of 1,672 acres of lodes, 219 acres of placers and 275 acres of millsites and homesteads. The mining claims consisted of 4 groups of claims covering the Gold Creek lode system. This company has an extensive write-up in The Mines Handbook, volume XIII, 1918.
- Certificate is in VF condition.
American Nickel Company
- Issued / Uncancelled, 1905. Incorporated in South Dakota.
- Properties were located at Table Mountain District, Churchill Co., Nevada.
- Certificate is in VG+ condition with light issuance stamps.
Anglo-California Gold Mining Company
- California Gold Rush
- Issued / Uncancelled, dated 1852.
- British issued certificate.
- Early California Gold Rush certificate. British companies were early financiers of the Western American Gold Rush in California.
- Certificate is in F condition. Small-format certificate measures approximately 8.25″ x 7.5″.
Azteca Copper Mining Company
- New Mexico
- Issued / Uncancelled, 1920.
- Printer: American Bank Note
- Properties located in the Organ Mountain Mining District SE of Las Cruces, Dona Ana Co., New Mexico.
- Certificate is in VF condition
Big Ledge Copper Company
- Issued / Uncancelled, 1922.
- Printer: American Bank Note
- Properties include the Black Hills group east of Humboldt; The Butternut group, and the Henrietta group, located at Big Bug District, Arizona. Company is extensively detailed in the Mines Handbook and Copper Handbook, vol. XIII, 1918.
- Attractive mining vignette. Certificate is in F condition
Blue Mountain Mining Company
- Issued / Uncancelled, 1913. Incorporated in Arizona with property located in Cable Cove District, N.W. of Sumpter in Baker and Grant counties, Oregon.
- (Source: Copper Handbook; volume 13 – 1918, ppg 1268-69)
- We have two varieties of this bond; $100 and $500 First Mortgage Gold Bonds, several coupons still attached.
- Condition: F condition; normal bond folds.